Policing has experienced considerable change over recent years generated by complex social, economic and political changes; changes in science and technology, in laws, values and standards, in knowledge and understanding about the causes of crime and social disorder; and changes in increased expectations upon police by the community. Professionalisation of policing is necessary to address these issues and the establishment of a professional body for policing is integral to this professionalisation process.
The Australasian Institute of Policing is a non-industrial, not-for-profit incorporated association that has been established by practitioners, for practitioners to further the policing profession and is therefore independent from police employers, government and the various industrial bodies.
The Institute has been established with the object to:
- promote the policing profession;
- promote professional practice standards within the policing profession;
- endorse education related to the policing profession;
- certify individual police practitioners;
- develop, promote and encourage ethical standards of policing practice;
- to facilitate the sharing of research and information as to best practice policing;
- to enhance public confidence in the police profession and the service provided to the public by members of the policing profession; and
- to promote professional mobility of police practitioners.
Not-for-profit Charitable Institution
As per our Rules of Incorporation: “The assets and income of the Australasian Institute of Policing shall be applied solely in furtherance of its above mentioned objects and no portion shall be distributed directly or indirectly to the members of the Institute except as bona fide compensation for services rendered or expenses incurred on behalf of the organisation”. Therefore all income from membership fees or other sources will be used to maintain and upgrade IT services, administration and assist in the running of conferences or other services or benefits to members that will further the objects of the Institute and that of the profession. AiPol has been endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office as a ‘Charitable Institution’.